Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Act II scene ii


What's in a name?


As Madeline's first birthday draws closer, I can't help but think about all the things we were scurrying around doing at this time last year. We only had 16 quick days to prepare. HA! Little did we know!


Quite a change from the little newborn who could barely move her limbs to the baby I can't stop from poking the computer keys. (ARG!)
So - how did our little Madeline come to be named Madeline?
Most people who know me know that I always wanted to name my first baby Ophelia. That was nixed pretty soon after we found out we were pregnant. Other names I liked that got the chopping block were:
Syren
Beckett
Portia
Yoanna
We went on vacation in June and we both liked Savanah and Athena - but we weren't over the moon for them.
One day we spent most of the day on the beach. We enjoyed watching a little family beside us with a cute little 4 year old girl, a cute little dog, and a very pregnant mom. They kept calling their daughter "Mooshie" but, toward the end of the day we heard them call out to her as she was running toward the water. "Madeline!"
I turned to Steve. " I love that!"
and he said "I love it too!"
We resolved to keep an open mind and open ears, but with every day that passed, the girl growing inside of me became our little Madeline. When we shared it with our families they loved it. My mom was sooooo relieved that she didn't end up with a granddaughter named "Yentl" or "Shoshana."
Of course we didn't realize we'd meet about 303468 people whose babies were also named Madeline. Oh well - IF there's another one maybe that'll help my case for a weird name.
We love you, little Madeline Grace.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Shoshana! That is so funny. What was that name on? A movie? Something...remind me. Yentyl? C'mon now. Did I miss the fact that you are Jewish?

Emily said...

Hey, I saw this toddler seating today and thought of you!

http://www.kidsfurnituremart.com/seating/recliners/2seaterchildtheaterseatwstorage.cfm