Friday, March 27, 2009

March Madness

My camera is MIA right now, so another post with no pictures. Sorry.

I think I am the ONLY person in Indiana who HATES basketball. I especially feel this way when there is nothing on my 29348987 channels but basketball. GAG! Thank God for the Discovery Channel!

March is zooming by us and April is almost here - which means May isn't too far behind which scares me! Baby2 is supposed to cook until the end of May but I keep getting a bad feeling that he's going to come early. I hope not!

Madeline seems to be growing by leaps and bounds...every day something new comes out of her mouth and she's learned some new skill. She really truly JUMPED for the first time at her friend Fintan's house so that was pretty exciting! Yesterday the whole family walked to the creek to feed the invisible crab who lives there. On the way back Madeline informed us that she was a "Bumblebee-ah" and started doing this weird chicken walk whilest flapping her arms. Steve and I could barely contain ourselves. I don't know where on earth that came from.

She's doing GREAT in her big girl bed. She's gotten out twice and each time received a VERY stern warning from Steve or I that that is not acceptable and ONLY mommy or daddy gets her out of bed. It's worked well and she's hasn't gotten out in over 2 weeks. I really hope that continues well because it would give me all kinds of heebs if I ran into her one night wandering around upstairs. eek! I know that the arrival of baby2 may make this harder, but she is usually very good at obeying and we've tried to keep her routine as constant as possible.

She's also getting at least one of her two -year molars. We are going to the Dentist on Tuesday so we'll see if she can see any more. I don't like sticking my fingers in the back of her mouth and she doesn't much care for it either. I think that's been the source of her waking at night, and really really hope that passes soon because Steve and I are very very tired.

Pottying is going great! She rarely has an accident and does well going potty wherever we are. (She recently got to try out the child-sized potty at Children's Museum which she loved. Why don't they have those everywhere??? :) She loves picking out her undies in the morning and is still only wearing Pull Ups at night. (Oh how my wallet loves not buying diapers!!!)

My little trooper also endured one of her first real injuries this morning. We were all snuggling in our bed and somehow she got BOPPED with an elbow. She started crying really hard so Steve took her into the bathroom right away to check her out. Sure enough - bloody nose! Once she saw that in the mirror I think that wigged her out more than the pain. Steve held her while I tried to pinch her little nose with a cool cloth. Steve was cool as a cucumber - I was all spaz inside but mostly kept my cool while telling her that sometimes when you play you get hurt, and that accidents happen. I can just see her telling someone at church or playgroup "Daddy hit me!" lol! She was very concerned that she was getting Daddy "wet" when she saw the blood all over his shirt. We were able to stop the bleeding fairly quickly and she calmed down a lot. All in all she didn't even cry much more than a minute. She's always taken spills and knocks very well which she MUST get from her father. She's a tough cookie which I have to admit surprises me. I was FAR more rattled by the whole thing than she was.

Our days are ticking down as a family of three and I find tears pricking my eyes more than ever before. I know that having a sibling will be good for her,but there's still a part of me that feels like I'm robbing her of something. : ( I never had the experience of a new sibling coming home from the hospital so I don't exactly know a lot about it. I guess it's one of those things you just do on a wing and a prayer!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Madeline seems like such an adjustable kid. She did great with potty training and the big girl bed. I know she will do great with a sibling!!

That is a bummer about the bloody nose but tell Steve to stop hitting her (hahaha). Laney got one a few months ago and not only was I covered in blood but I was rather hysterical....not a good combination.

Great update and although your family of 3 is coming to an end, a family of 4 is so incredibly exciting!! I am excited for you!

Emily said...

Thanks for the update. Leslie wasn't kidding. Madeline seems so "take it in stride" all the time! Gabby does fairly well with change, but she is just not as cool about it all as Madeline. Madda needs to teach Gabby to be more chill AND to listen to her parents more. :) I have a feeling Madda will always be one of those kids that just is so well-behaved and afraid of getting in trouble. This is opposing my wild child of course who will be well-behaved when we are looking and so, so naughty when we aren't! Can't wait to see how it all goes with 2 at home!