Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Send 'em to the chair

As I rocked my little peanut tonight, the familier squeaking returned.

"ARGH!!!!" I thought to myself, "WHY DOESN'T MY HUSBAND FIX THIS CHAIR!!!! AHHHHH!"

It did it throughout Madeline's entire childhood and looks like Jackson is destined to squeakiness too. And then I thought about the hundreds of hours my husband and I spent in that chair. Rocking to sleep, breaking fevers, reading stories . . . I remember spending hours in it when I was pregnant with Madeline. Wondering what she'd look like - how much longer I would have to wait ...... and then all the sudden - she didn't want to be rocked anymore. She wanted to read books on the floor or in her bed. So - into Jackson's room it went!

It greeted me the first night we were home from the hospital and Jackson needed to nurse every half hour. It became a place for a quick doze while Jackson was struggling to fall asleep. And sometimes, it held us both for hours for no other reason than - I couldn't put my baby down just yet.

Eventually Jackson will outgrow being rocked and it'll probably end up in a closet, or the guest room if it's lucky. People will sit in it - with no clue what it means to me. No idea of the memories it holds. Furniture now a days isn't really built to last through generations, but I hope this one will hold up a while longer. I'd love to give it to one of my children and know that it was still supporting the ones I love. And it'll probably still squeak. And that's not so bad.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Awww....this was so sweet. I hate that our rocking chair does not have a thick pad. I guess we all complain about something with the chair, but you are right - we will all miss them dearly some day!

Leslie said...

So sweet, Erin! I might have to copy this idea for a post...it really is sweet. The rocking chair in Matthew's room was used for the girls and was used for my sister and myself when we were kiddos. BUT I can't write nearly as well as you do...will you do the blog post for me?

How is Jackson feeling??