Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Father Knows Best

Madeline's has this runny nose, coughy, sore throat "thing" pretty much all winter. It comes and goes at will so I don't know if it something or nothing.....either way - I HATE hearing her hack over and over at night and during naps. I read that honey is excellent to give children before they go to sleep (obviously who are over a year old and before you brush the teeth!) to help coat their throat and ease the coughing. We've done it in the pass to some success so when she started coughing again a few weeks ago I broke out the honey.



Except she wouldn't let me anywhere near her. I coaxed, I bribed, I semi-forced. Nothing. I don't know what child wouldn't want something so sweet and delicious, but she wanted nothing to do with it. I tried a few times on a few different days but just gave up after getting honey all over half of my kitchen.



My husband came home the other night and asked if I was going to give her some honey before bed. I told him no because I was frustrated with fighting with her over it. I'm not going to GAG her just to get some down her throat. My husband walks to the pantry, gets out the bear full of honey and starts to talk to Madeline about honey-bear. Honey bear, if you're nice and rub his belly will give you a BIG spoonful of honey. Honeybear is full of such yummy honey - but you have to rub his belly and say please!! I was like "yeah babe - she's soooo gonna fall for that."



Next thing I know my daughter is rubbing the bear's belly and begging for honey. "More honey!" she says as she rubs his belly "More please!!!"

Uh - ok?! Great!

I'm not surprised my husband came up with something creative and cute to get her to do it - I guess I'm just jealous. I'm the mom - I'm the primary caregiver - If I can't get her to do something no one should be able to right? And with so little effort??

Sigh. My child continues to surprise me...

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I TOTALLY understand. My husband comes up with these types of things and I'm like, why didn't I do it that way? You are the primary caregiver (and doing a great job I might add) but sometimes it takes another person to get our kids to do something (hense why my kids are so much better at friend's houses than mine...why does that have to be??).

Did the honey help her cough? I remember my parents giving that to me as a kid...I LOVED it...yummy bear :)

Pamela said...

Daddy is the same way at our house. local honey can also be used to help with allergies. take dark honey in the fall and light honey in spring. It has to be made within 50 miles of our house but when John takes it daily, he no longer needs allergy meds. so nice.

Emily said...

Go Steve and magic honey bear! Gabby is still coughing at night and in the morning since her last bought with the heebie jeebies. Maybe honey bear needs to come to our house for a sleepover.